Aims and Objectives
To produce graduates who have:
- Sufficient technical and entrepreneurial skills for productive self employment, research and be involved in all aspects of agriculture and related areas.
- Relevance to national development and global societal needs and industry.
In this regard, graduates of the Faculty should meet the following requirements
- Have competence in conceptual, managerial, analytical, practical and entrepreneurial skills.
- Be fully equipped with data processing skills to interpret agricultural problems and provide solutions.
- Have good communication skills to adequately present research/field reports.
- Be well equipped with information technology for global communication.
- Have skills in participatory approach to conservation and utilization of natural resources with the view to enhancing rural development.
Objectives and Mode of Achievement
- Science, technology and technical skills:- At the onset of training, students shall be exposed to the science of agricultural production culminating in the technology and technical aspects thereof.
- The art of agricultural production:- The practical and entrepreneurial skills acquisition aspects will be emphasized i.e. training specifically on hands-on basis such that agriculture is not considered as a far-fetched science but an art, a vocation and a business for self employment and self sufficiency. This would also require exposure to agricultural enterprises on campus, farms, industries etc.
- Skill in research and development: Research training not only for academic purposes but to solve problems both locally and nationally relevant to agricultural development.
The University of Jos is situated in a climatic environment that supports the production of conventional Nigerian crops and animals. In addition, the climate supports others plants and animals, including exotics ones that are not found in most other parts of Nigeria. Therefore the faculty would be more diverse in agricultural activities. This would diversify food production and availability in Nigeria and boost national food security. Furthermore, the friendly weather and serene environment of Jos and sundry desires by most people to be involved in new/diverse vocations would attract more quality staff and students. This will increase patronage to the Faculty of Agriculture of University of Jos than to others.