BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DENTISTRY
The Department was established as a child of necessity to address the non-existence of a Dental school in the whole of the North Central region of Nigeria, and the curb the rising prevalence of orofacial diseases such as infections, cancers, trauma and congenital disorders (e.g cleft lip palate).
The Nigeria University commission gave approval for the commencement of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) programme in August, 2014 and set of 24 students were admitted during the 2015/2016 Academic year. The second sets of 19 students were admitted to 100 level during the 2016/2017 academic session.
The core areas under Dentistry are:
- Oral/maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) Department
- Child Dental health (DCH) which is composed of Departments of Paedodontics, and orthodontics
- Preventive Dentistry which is composed of Departments of community Dentistry, and periodontology
- Department of Conservative Dentistry which is composed of departments of restorative dentistry, and prosthodontics.
- Oral diagnostic sciences which is composed of the following departments:
- Oral pathology
- Oral radiology
- Oral medicine
- Oral biology
Effort are being made to establish a new core area of Dentistry which is family Dentistry Department
The Department of Dentistry aim at providing adequate training in Dentistry comparable to the standard obtainable anywhere in the world.